Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Tuesday, June 29th

I am just back from Wimbledon. I haven't had a chance to go in several years so it was nice to be offered a Players Companion ticket. I have to admit I spent most of my time wondering around the crowds - as the players area was full of Tennis wives and their offspring. I didn't pull up until around 3:30 so I managed to miss the best matches of the day however it was nice to go and sit on Henman Hill. It was a good deal smaller than on telly.

I also came across a bit of American Satire (an oxymoron if there ever was one). I leave you with it today:

"We, the relatively unbothered and well off, hold these truths to be self-evident: That big government, Big Deficits and Big Tobacco are bad, but that big bathrooms and SUV's are not; that American overseas involvement should be restricted to trade agreements, mutual funds and the visiting of certain beachfront resorts; that markets can take care of themselves as long as they take care of us; that an individual's sex life is nobody's business, although highly entertaining; and that the only rights that really matter are those which indulge the Self". (Nicholas Lemann)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails