Friday, August 27, 2004

Friday, August 27th

All has been quiet on the fashion front. August is usually exceptionally quiet. The international press offices are closed and for a workaholic profession this enforced slowdown is usually a welcome relief for everybody. For some reason, compared to previous years I have had a fairly busy August. I had a lovely job working with the present #1 pop princess, who was delightful I might add. A smashing job working for Harpers Bazaar and a consultation to a young up and coming fashion company. However, now we have September on the horizon and I have to step up a gear.

I think I am going to skip New York this season for a couple of reasons, if I see another show of American sportswear/classics, I might be tipped over the edge and need catwalk prozac for the foreseeable future. Additionally, by the time I get to the end of Paris I no longer care about the beauty I see before me. There is nothing worse than fashion burnout and the shows test everyone to the limits. The London Fashion Week schedule arrived in my inbox today - nothing I am gagging to see. However I am still waiting for the off schedule show list, as Kit Willow seems to hold some promise... fingers crossed it isn't just a bunch of London hype (which is often the case).

The more interesting aspect of London Fashion week will be the contest between the Sunday Times Style and ES Magazine - both of which are heavily into sponsorship of LFW. Both are planning large extravaganzas for the public ... However the Evening Standard are taking lead in the sponsorship - have an amazing fashion issue (if my sources are to be believed) and are making a bid for the London Fashion Newspaper crown. The old battle axe that is Style has an uphill battle ahead of them. It has been looking rather Essex over the past six months to a year. They had a strong relaunch but it has been going downhill since. It is no longer the Vogue of the newspapers that it once was.

Well I am off to enjoy the Carnival... the buzz around here has started already... I better decamp to a friends house if I plan to get any rest at all!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails